Benefits of Hydrotherapy for Dogs
Hydrotherapy for Dogs – What makes this beneficial?
A Hydrotherapy pool is kept a very specific temperature of 29 degrees. This temperature, brings white blood cells and oxygen directly to injured areas promoting faster healing and recovery times. Hydrotherapy allows a dog to exercise without the pull of gravity putting pressure on injuries, or joints. When a dog does not have to deal with pain that comes with exercise on land it is free to build muscle and regain maneuverability. Hydro-static pressure keeps even pressure on all parts of the dog’s body when immersed in water. This is beneficial for swollen joints and tissue. Many dogs with chronic conditions such as arthritis can move more easily and with greatly reduced pain in the water. Every dog wants to be active but some cannot due to injury or disorder, this can cause anxiousness and irritability. When a dog is free of the constraints of pain, their mental well-being also improves.
Common Conditions That Can Benefit from Hydrotherapy
- Orthopedic – Injuries and disorders to the skeletal system, muscles, joints and ligaments
- Neurological – Disorders of the nervous system – brain and spinal cord
- Degenerative Muscle Conditions
- Soft Tissue – Tendons, ligaments, fascia, skin, fibrous tissue, muscle nerves and blood vessels
- Conditions related to Age
- Conditions related to Weight
What to Expect from Hydrotherapy for your Dog
Short Term Effects
- Decreased pain perception
- Increased sensory perception to injured areas
- Relaxation of muscle tension and/or spasm
- Decreased heart rate at rest
- Possible reduction in blood pressure
- Reduction of edema (swelling of tissue)
- Non-weight bearing –easier to move and less joint concussion
- Support for weakened spinal injury dogs in neutral spinal position – increased core stability
- Increased active range of motion
- Feeling or well being due to a release of endorphins
- Reduction of frustration, anxiety and restlessness for dogs on cage rest or reduced exercise
Long Term Effects
- Increased joint range of movement
- Increased muscle strength
- Promotes proper musculature to areas that have neglected to develop due to injury or disease.
- Prevention of secondary complications
- Improved cardiovascular improvement
- Decreased pain and inflammation
- Potential earlier return to normal function
- Slowing the progression of degenerative disease processes
- Improved quality of life
Customized Treatment Plans
Canine hydrotherapy is a service that compliments veterinary treatments. Our correspondence with your Veterinarian is an essential part of formulating a customized plan to aid in the treatment of your pet’s condition. HydroPaws does not work with any patients without a Veterinarian’s prior approval. Once we have an understanding of your dog’s physical and mental condition, we are able to put together a customized plan. The formulation of a customized plan ensures Client’s dogs will reach their physical and mental goals. Each and every dog has its own specific needs to obtain optimum physical and mental well-being.
Building a Customized Treatment Plan
Hydrotherapy Information for Veterinarians
Hydrotherapy is a very effective way to aid in the rehabilitation of dogs with a variety of diseases, disorders or injuries. However, these supportive therapies should not be considered as a replacement for Veterinary Services. All of HydroPaws hydrotherapy sessions are compliments to the specific health and well-being instruction detailed by a Veterinarian.
HydroPaws will only begin to treat a dog if it is cleared and/or recommended by a Veterinarian. It is critical to have this permission and oversight to be able to provide a safe effective care that is monitored on all levels.
Invite for Veterinarians
We fully understand that you would like to see our hydrotherapy facility in action before recommending us for your client’s dogs. We invite you to bring your own dog and come out for a free swim. We would love to show you around and answer any questions you have.
Call us at 604.459.3115
We have developed a in-house patient management system that allows up to keep detailed and accurate records and output and share patient reports with the Veterinarian.